Thursday, January 08, 2009

New Year Resolutions

I made 2 New Year's resolutions this year. The first, half jokingly, is to stay employed. With the economy in the toilet and getting worse, the university that I work at is facing budget cuts. It looks like my department is escaping intact. In addition, I had a pretty good performance appraisal yesterday, so it looks like I'll be here for a while longer.

My second resolution, and this one I'm serious about, is to give up chocolate for the year. Why? No real reason, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I seem to have blown that one already. I got some really yummy looking chocolate as Christmas gifts, and I wanted to at least taste it. Last night I indulged in one last chocolate fest. It was delicious. Now that that is out of the way, my plan is to give up chocolate until this time next year.

On another note, I am almost nearly a whole year caffeine free, or at least caffeine minimal. My roommate likes to point out that chocolate has caffeine in it and I was still eating that. My response so far has been, 'So?'. My self-induced one year caffeine fast will be complete in March. I am looking forward to adding tea back into my normal beverage consumption. I have a thing for tea. Coffee and soda I can do without; tea not so much. And herbal tea just isn't the same. I had considered adding tea back in after the start of the year, but a whole 12 months just seems so much more symmetrical.

2 comments:

BlueMule said...

Dude, give up chocolate? Have you gone bonkers?

Anonymous said...

I believe that chocolate has special healing powers that infuse the mind with happy thoughts. I actually just got up to get a piece of chocolate to inspire me with this piece. I feel better now. Go eat some chocolate. I won't tell.